Foodiva's Kitchen: Satay Pizza Bites

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Satay Pizza Bites


Just to let you know that I'm no longer a contestant in Project Food Blog because of a technical glitch, ie. I had actually forgotten to submit my 3rd challenge post to the contest organizers. LOL. Somehow that hadn't made it  on to my extensive To Do list! Honestly, with 1001 things to remember for my last Open House party, this was the one thing I had to do that slipped my mind. Yes, I learnt severely from it, but decided to take the whole snafu with good grace and humor (I mean, it was a great party!). I've taken off my contestant widget from the right side-bar in case any of you are still wanting to vote for me. *grins*

However, I did promise you some more recipes from that party. These satay pizzas were made with two reasons in mind:
1. There would be a number of kids at the party, and I wanted to entice them with food they would love to eat. Homemade pizzas seemed a much better option than many of our traditional greasy foods normally served during the festivity.
2. I still wanted the pizzas to carry the festive note and so decided to replace the traditional tomato sauce with satay (savory peanut) sauce, but kept the Mozarella topping for that Italian feel.


I'd written a previous post about satay sauce here. For this pizza, I'd kept the sauce very minimally spicy so the kids could hardly taste the heat of chillies in it (oh, but they were there!). I also made the pizzas in a square baking tray for ease of portioning it later into bite-sized pieces.


This will be sent to Yeastspotting because I haven't contributed in a while! Please do go and check out the other fabulous 'yeasty' submissions to the Wild Yeast blog this week.

Here is a simple pizza dough recipe you could use, or else, a store-bought dough would also work fine.

Satay Pizza Bites
Ingredients:
Dough
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon dried instant yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
lukewarm water, enough to form dough

Topping:
satay sauce
200g minced chicken (or other meat or vegetables)
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1 onion, chopped finely
salt and pepper, to taste
Mozarella cheese, grated

Method:
1. Place flour, yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil in a mixing bowl and using a dough hook start to mix on slow speed.
2. Gradually add the warm water, all the while mixing until a dough forms. Add more flour if necessary to adjust the dough texture. It should be smooth and not sticky.
3. Leave dough in a well-oiled bowl to rise to double its size for 1 hour. Cover bowl with a clean, damp cloth and leave in a warm spot.
4. Punch the dough to let the air out, then press into a rectangular or square baking tray. Leave to rise for the second time for about an hour. 
5. In the meantime, prepare the satay sauce to use as a topping. Click here for recipe.
6. Saute the garlic and onion in hot olive oil, and add the minced chicken. Stir for about 10-15 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the juices have dried up. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside for assembly.
7. To assemble: take the risen dough and spread the cooled satay sauce on top of it. Sprinkle the cooked minced chicken on the sauce layer and lastly, sprinkle the Mozarella to cover the dough.
8. Cook in a preheated oven at 250C for 20-25 minutes. Take it out of the oven and leave to cool slightly before slicing into bite-sized pieces. 

Thanks for coming by. Now, I'm going to sit back and enjoy my lovely morning glories..;-)

3 comments:

Roxan said...

What an adorable idea, pizza satay. I bet the kids (and adults) gobbled them back up?
So sorry to hear that you forgot to submit your entry for the food blog challenge! But awesome that you are being a good sport about it.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Roxan! Pizzas are always a hit no matter what the flavor! Love your blog, btw.

fromBAtoParis said...

Well...we lost a great participant, we can STILL enjoy your satay..Isn't that the most important thing after all!
Good job!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails